© 2017 - Peterborough Festival Inc. All photographs copyright by their respective owners. Web design by Ian Redpath
Gumbowie Ruins

Peterborough Town Hall

The original Town Hall which is situated alongside the  Post Office was built as the Petersburg Institute in 1884 at a cost of £853.15.9. Initially it was a privately owned building but the Corporation of Petersburg took over the building and used it as a Town Hall from February 1889. In 1891 the hall was renovated again by building an addition onto the front and a dressing rooms and new stage at the rear at a cost of £1,020. The building was officially opened by the Governor, The Earl of Kintore on the 22nd of November 1894. Since that time the building has been used for a variety of things; ranging from a skating rink, courthouse, museum, and a library. It is now a private residence and there are no tours of the building. The current Town Hall which is on the left hand side of the Old Town Hall was built in 1927 at a cost of £13,961.0.6 and is claimed to be the largest and most ornate Town Hall in country South Australia. The stage measures 55ft wide, 21ft deep and 24ft high. The hall can seat 1,000 patrons and has excellent facilities such as kitchen/bar area and change rooms. There are rooms set aside for the Mayor, Council Chambers and a meeting room for the townspeople. Originally the five rooms along the front of the building were leased as shops but are now used as office space for the District Council of Peterborough. The Hall is open to the public between 9am and 4:30pm Monday-Friday but is closed on weekends and Public Holidays.

Buildings

Our Peterborough

South Australia

Old Peterborough Town Hall
Peterborough Town Hall

Peterborough Visitor Information Centre

The Visitor Information Centre in the Main  Street was originally built by Meadowbank Company in England at a cost of £4,495.3.6 and was placed in traffic as NARB 12 on the 30th October 1917. It is 65 feet long and weighs 36.1 tones. The carriage was part of the original "East West Express Consist" and was utilised in this service until the introduction of the German carbon steel cars in the early 1950s. The carriage was fitted with a shower in 1918 and reclassified NARB 12 in 1946. It was converted to narrow gauge in 1956 and continued in traffic on the Central Australian Railway until 1961 when it was converted back to standard gauge. This vehicle was used as non air-conditioned accomodation on goods trains until written off in 1979. The carriage was placed in its current location on the 29th May 1984 and was renovated with the help of Government Grants which employed three unemployed people for three months. There was also a large amount of work put in by volunteers of the Tourist Association at the time and until the Association handed it back to the Council. The Information Centre opened for business on the 11th of May 1985 at 10am but it was not until the 20th of September when His Excellency, Sir Donald Dunstan, Governor of South Australia officially declared it open for business. The Centre is open from 9am to 5pm  7 days a week and is operated by the District Council of Peterborough. Contact Information Peterborough Tourist Information Centre Main Street, Peterborough, South Australia, 5422 Phone: 08 8651 2708 Peterborough Tourism Website: www.visitpeterboroughsa.com.au
Peterborough Visitor Information Centre

Peterborough Times Printing Office

The Peterborough Times Printing Office collection is associated with the history of Australia’s newspaper and printing industry. The building and contents are directly related to three owners of the business, that is, Robert Osborne (1887-1896), generations of the Bennett family (1896 to 1975) and then commercial printer John Doney (1975 to 2001). The output of the Printing Office relates specifically to the town and district of Peterborough, in South Australia’s mid-north.   The significance of the Peterborough Times Printing Office lies in the fact that printing presses, equipment, tools, paper stock, and material printed on the presses, remain in-situ within the original purpose-built building used by generations of owners of Peterborough’s newspaper and printing business from 1894 until 2001.    The Peterborough Times Printing Office is not a museum housing a collection brought together from disparate sources. The building and contents form one coherent collection. The Printing Office is, in essence, an historic ‘house’.   There are thousands of items within the building and together they provide unique insights into Australia’s printing and newspaper industry, into the history of graphic design, and into the economic, cultural and social life of the people of the district it served for over a century.   It is rare in Australia and overseas to find a printing collection that has been preserved within its original building, and with a large archive of items printed also on the premises. The Peterborough Times Printing Office is located next to the History Rooms, opposite the Police Station, in Jervois Street. Experience the atmosphere and workings of an original Print Shop complete with a new Interpretive Centre designed by Mark Thompson We are now open for business in the form of tours on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 10.00am to 1.00pm and at other times by appointment.  See details at the Tourist Information Centre, on our leaflets or on the windows of the History Rooms. The entry fee is $5.00 and if you subsequently bring your visitors along your entry will be free of charge. School groups welcome to book in, with the opportunity for students to take part in a small printing experience. Why not arrange to bring your employees along as a group after work. Service Clubs welcome also – we have an outdoor barbeque area where you could have an informal BYO tea afterwards. All other clubs and groups welcome Individuals and small numbers of people also welcome We look forward to seeing you and your friends and families. 11 Jervois St., Peterborough SA 5422 Phone 08 8651 2271, 08 8651 2047, 08 8651 2122 ABC item on the Printing Shop

Peterborough Town

Hall

The original Town Hall which is situated alongside the  Post Office was built as the Petersburg Institute in 1884 at a cost of £853.15.9. Initially it was a privately owned building but the Corporation of Petersburg took over the building and used it as a Town Hall from February 1889. In 1891 the hall was renovated again by building an addition onto the front and a dressing rooms and new stage at the rear at a cost of £1,020. The building was officially opened by the Governor, The Earl of Kintore on the 22nd of November 1894. Since that time the building has been used for a variety of things; ranging from a skating rink, courthouse, museum, and a library. It is now a private residence and there are no tours of the building. The current Town Hall which is on the left hand side of the Old Town Hall was built in 1927 at a cost of £13,961.0.6 and is claimed to be the largest and most ornate Town Hall in country South Australia. The stage measures 55ft wide, 21ft deep and 24ft high. The hall can seat 1,000 patrons and has excellent facilities such as kitchen/bar area and change rooms. There are rooms set aside for the Mayor, Council Chambers and a meeting room for the townspeople. Originally the five rooms along the front of the building were leased as shops but are now used as office space for the District Council of Peterborough. The Hall is open to the public between 9am and 4:30pm Monday-Friday but is closed on weekends and Public Holidays.
Old Peterborough Town Hall
Peterborough Town Hall

Buildings

Our Peterborough

South Australia

© 2016 - Peterborough Festival Inc. All photographs copyright by their respective owners. Web design by Ian Redpath