© 2017 - Peterborough Festival Inc. All photographs copyright by their respective owners. Web design by Ian Redpath
YMCA Building

Peterborough History Group SA Inc.

The Peterborough History Group is a small band of dedicated volunteers who are preserving the town’s history as well as running displays in the History Rooms / Print Shop, at 7-9 Jervois Street, along with display rooms in the YMCA building.

Brief History of Peterborough

Peterborough, (or Petersburg as it was known until 1918) was settled to service the agricultural and pastoral endeavours of the 1870s. A Mr William Heathersay was the first person to start a business venture up, when in 1878 he built a blacksmith shop. Several other ventures by other people soon followed. There are two theories as to how the town got its name. One is that it was named after Mr Peter Doecke, the original owner of the land on which the town was built. The other, that it was named after 'Peters Store', the first General Store in town. The Railways; an Industry which would provide the lifeblood of the town for the next 110 years officially arrived in the town January 17, 1881 when the line from Jamestown opened. The Terowie line opened shortly after and the line to Broken Hill was opened in 1887 thus ensuring the future of the town. This meant that Port Pirie, Port Augusta, Adelaide and the Silverton Mines were all connected by rail tracks that passed through Peterborough. The town would forge ahead in leaps and bounds with the railways playing a major part in the development of it. In 1927 the workforce of the Peterborough Division of the South Australian Railways was 1800 with two thirds of them living in the town. This was the era when the town experienced a boom in population and major building works. They included the Railway Roundhouse (largest in the southern hemisphere), Town Hall (largest in rural South Australia) and the imposing YMCA building. Peterborough played a major part in the movement of the troops during the Second World War with troop trains moving north, south, east and west. Unfortunately the railways has all but left the town but the assets and memories of that great steam era has been preserved at the Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre which is situated in the original railway workshops at the western end of the town. The local council has set aside money and utilised many Government Grants to improve the lifestyle and appearance of the town. As a result of this the town has won many awards in the statewide KESAB Tidy Towns Competition for its continued improvement and innovative approach.

History Walk

This walk should take approximately 80 minutes. It  commences at the Visitor Information Centre and proceeds west along the Main Street towards the Town Hall. It will take in a host of historical buildings and sites in the vicinity of the Main Street. There will be an interpretive sign explaining the history of each particular site. The signs may in some cases be on the other side of the road to the site. Walk.pdf

History

Our Peterborough

South Australia

Peterborough

History Group SA Inc.

The Peterborough History Group is a small band of dedicated volunteers who are preserving the town’s history as well as running displays in the History Rooms / Print Shop, at 7-9 Jervois Street, along with display rooms in the YMCA building.

Brief History of

Peterborough

Peterborough, (or Petersburg as it was known until 1918) was settled to service the agricultural and pastoral endeavours of the 1870s. A Mr William Heathersay was the first person to start a business venture up, when in 1878 he built a blacksmith shop. Several other ventures by other people soon followed. There are two theories as to how the town got its name. One is that it was named after Mr Peter Doecke, the original owner of the land on which the town was built. The other, that it was named after 'Peters Store', the first General Store in town. The Railways; an Industry which would provide the lifeblood of the town for the next 110 years officially arrived in the town January 17, 1881 when the line from Jamestown opened. The Terowie line opened shortly after and the line to Broken Hill was opened in 1887 thus ensuring the future of the town. This meant that Port Pirie, Port Augusta, Adelaide and the Silverton Mines were all connected by rail tracks that passed through Peterborough. The town would forge ahead in leaps and bounds with the railways playing a major part in the development of it. In 1927 the workforce of the Peterborough Division of the South Australian Railways was 1800 with two thirds of them living in the town. This was the era when the town experienced a boom in population and major building works. They included the Railway Roundhouse (largest in the southern hemisphere), Town Hall (largest in rural South Australia) and the imposing YMCA building. Peterborough played a major part in the movement of the troops during the Second World War with troop trains moving north, south, east and west. Unfortunately the railways has all but left the town but the assets and memories of that great steam era has been preserved at the Steamtown Heritage Rail Centre which is situated in the original railway workshops at the western end of the town. The local council has set aside money and utilised many Government Grants to improve the lifestyle and appearance of the town. As a result of this the town has won many awards in the statewide KESAB Tidy Towns Competition for its continued improvement and innovative approach.

History Walk

This walk should take approximately 80 minutes. It commences at the Visitor Information Centre and proceeds west along the Main Street towards the Town Hall. It will take in a host of historical buildings and sites in the vicinity of the Main Street. There will be an interpretive sign explaining the history of each particular site. The signs may in some cases be on the other side of the road to the site. Walk.pdf

History

Our Peterborough

South Australia

© 2016 - Peterborough Festival Inc. All photographs copyright by their respective owners. Web design by Ian Redpath